Stop by the market and pick up a loaf of French bread and get inspired by my top 12 favorite savory and sweet topping ideas.
Simple crostini recipe:
Step 1: Slice 1 to 2 loaves of French bread into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
Step 2: Brush each slice with olive oil or melted butter.
Step 3: Place the rounds on baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees until crisp throughout and lightly golden around the edges, about 15 minutes.
Crostini topping suggestions:
- Smoked salmon with cream cheese spread topped with dill.
- Shrimp salad with tarragon.
- Mash avocado with salt and lime juice and spread on crostini; top with shrimp, crumbled bacon and sprouts.
- Rub with a garlic clove; top with sliced plum tomatoes; sprinkle with sea salt.
- Tuna salad with lemon juice and zest, olive oil, chopped parsley, and salt.
- Spread with Gorgonzola cheese; top with sliced pears.
- Prosciutto wrapped with thinly sliced melon.
- Top with pesto, crumbled bacon and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Combine mayonnaise with wasabi paste; spread on toasts; top with lump crab meat.
- Combine equal parts sour cream and cream cheese with horseradish; spread on toasts; top with thinly sliced roast beef.
- Halve asparagus tips lengthwise; steam until al dente and season with salt; spread pre-made egg salad on toast; top with an asparagus tip.
- Wilt baby spinach and toss with crumbled bacon; spoon onto toasts; top with chopped hard-boiled eggs.