5 Ways To Say Yes To Summer
Nothing says "summer" like WATERMELON!
When I was a kid, summer was everything. School was out for the next 3 months, family vacay, but most of all it meant family reunion time. Where there's a family reunion, there's watermelon.
I can remember driving to the country, aka Belleville, Texas about 65 miles outside of Houston, with my family anticipating the fun me and my sisters were going to have with our cousins. Driving up highway 290, we would stop at a fruit stand in Hemptead, conveniently located on the side of the road, and buy 2 to 3 large watermelons to take to the festivities.
Once we arrived, my uncles would take the watermelons and place them in a large barrel of ice with other melons. OMG! Who doesn't love cold watermelon with a little bit of salt!
So to kick off the season, I have joined forces with Evite.com to showcase 5 different ways to “Say Yes to Summer" with the fruit that's closely associated with summertime celebrations, watermelon. I have curated a cool and colorful list of ways to honor the summer season through food and drink. Ahhhh, so fresh and so clean.
OPTION #1 - Cocktails: Watermelon Margaritas
- 4 parts Tequila
- 2 parts Orange Liqueur
- 3 cups, chilled, seeded and cut into pieces Watermelon
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Lime Juice
- 1 cup Ice
- Lime or Watermelon Wedge and Mint for garnish
Freeze cubed watermelon in a plastic bag for a minimum of 2 hours. Add all ingredients to a blender, puree until smooth. Serve in glasses rimmed with salt and garnished with a lime or watermelon wedge. Serves 4.
- 2 cups of watermelon (minus the seeds, of course 🙂
- Lime juice from 3 small limes
- Blend ingredients in a blender (add small amounts of water, if the mixture is too sweet)
- Pour into ice pop molds and freeze for 4-6 hours.
- 6 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons prepared strawberry balsamic dressing
- 5 cups lightly packed baby arugula
- Cracked black pepper to taste
Say Yes to Summer
OPTION #4 - Socialize
This summer, Evite wants to celebrate all the creative ways people “Say Yes to Summer” by hosting a photo contest inviting summer enthusiasts to share how they’re saying yes to. Submit your photo for a chance to win a $500 Visa gift card!
Evite is always the easiest way to bring friends and family together for your events, big or small.